May it be homes or offices, roofing is one of the core factors of that building. It is therefore important that we take ample care of our roofs. We do not want a roof that may be damaged hanging above us as it could lead to economic and property loss and even pose danger to one’s life. We must analyze the longevity of the roof and take action as required.
There are a multitude of factors that affect the longevity or lifespan of a roof. We will take a close look at these factors and understand how to solve such issues.
1. Material: The material and finish of the roof plays an important role in the longevity of the roof. Roofs made of strong and sturdy materials usually stand the test of time way better. It’s quite important to understand the material of the roof. Rajeel KP, director of KPG roofings, say that durable materials like roof tiles and roofing shingles gives the most long lasting roofs.
2. Time since its installation: If you’re looking to buy a new house or thinking about renovating an old one, one manor factor I must look into is how long the roof has been installed. Most roofing materials last somewhere around 20 to 30 years. Understanding how long the roof has withstood until now is quite important.
When you are looking to buy a house make sure to learn about the age of your roof or you might have to spend a fortune later on.
- Look for Signs: If you’re noticing damage or flaws on a relatively new roof, you may have reviewed defective roofs. Try to get in touch with your roofing distribution and installation team that did the roofing of your home. If it’s old, your roof might have completed its lifecycle. Try to repair existing shingles, replace shingles, or get a nee roofing solution altogether. Wear and tear, leakages, broken shingles and missing shingles are all signs that your roof is losing lifespan. If you find any of these signs, take immediate action and consult an experienced roofing expert.4. Management: Managing your roof well and taking good care can help your roof to last long. A well-managed roof should last longer than even a high-quality roof that is left unmanaged. So take good care of your roof so that it’ll last longer.5. Weather: Strong winds, heavy downpour, and harsh heat can affect your roofs. It is common for roofs at places with harsh weather conditions to have less lifespan. If strong winds regularly hit your area then there is a chance that your roof may get damaged easily.6. Color: Colors may get washed out or moss or algae may form on top of the roofing hence damaging the color and finishing of the roof.7. Installation: The longevity of shingles may depend upon how they were installed. If not done properly, by the supervision of experts, the shingles may get damaged easily. We must make sure that the installation and any further maintenance done is done correctly.8. Nature: Other than climate, trees and their branches can cause damage to roofing shingles if they fall on top of the roof. We must make sure that we cut any overhanging branches to prevent damage to the roof.
Let us look at the lifespans of common roofing materials:
- Asphalt Shingles:
3-Tab Shingles – 10-20 years
Architectural Shingles – 15-25 years
Premium Shingles –20-30 years
Tile – 35-50 years
- Metal Roofing: 30-50 years
- Concrete roof tiles: 25 to 40 years
- Clay Roof Tiles: 50-100 years
- Composite Roofs: 30 to 50 years
From what we know, roofing can get damaged over time. If not handled properly, it can create great economic loss. So if you are building a new home, select the best and appropriate roofing solution with The Roof doctor Pretoria Roof Specialist. If you’re buying an old one you must inspect the roof well and make sure that the things are all right. Finally, if you are just a regular person who has already installed a roofing solution but is looking to keep it safe, maintain it well, and give proper care to it.